Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Testimonies of 5 People Baptized in Agoudze on Sunday, April 29th

Testimonies of people baptized on Sunday at Agoudze, Togo (see previous blog for details and pictures):
#1 (Man about 35-40 years old) - "I used to go to bars; I quarred all the time.  One day the pastor came and told me about the Savior.  I asked, "Is there really a Savior who exists?"  I added, "If there is truly a Savior, show me!"  I started going to church where I heard about Jesus Christ.  I noticed a change in my heart and life.  I stopped going to the bars; there was no more bitterness.  Now Jesus is my Savior.  He has truly transformed my life.  Jesus died for MY sins; He rose from the dead.  By His grace, I am His.  Before Christ, I had money but no peace.  Now I am completely different."

#2 (Wife of #1 - first baptismal candidate) - "I used to go to the charlatans.  But when I was sick and went to the charlatan, I was not always healed.  So I was not satisfied.  I would receive amulets from the charlatan; they would sometimes do ceremonies.  One day, after being engaged to the man who is now my husband, I talked with a lady from Assogba-Kope who told me to leave fetishism.  I told her "no, if I abandon everything having to do with fetishism, I will become a crazy woman."  I did start going to church and even talked with the pastor.  But I still kept my amulets.  One day I saw a film that said that we needed to burn our amulets.  After the film, I realized that was true.  I told the pastor that I would burn my amulets - and I did so in the Assogba-Kope church (in a nearby village).  Unfortunately, after that, I sinned against God; I was involved in sexual relationships before marriage.  I became pregnant, and I lost the baby.  I realized that I had sinned; I repented - and, by God's grace, I am forgiven.  My life has changed.  Now, if someone causes me a problem, I accept it.  Even if my family does evil to me, I follow God.  I am now ready to do whatever God wants me to do.  I still have no children so I ask you to pray that God will give me children."

#3 (Man of perhaps 45 years old).  This man's brother spoke first, telling about him.  He said: "My brother was a drunk.  He was always drunk.  Even in rainy season, when He was supposed to work in his fields, he didn't do anything.  Just drank.  He would go to the charlatans when he had problems.  Now he has completely changed.  Now I have a brother in whom I have confidence."
The man himself (the one who was baptized) said, "My wife sold tchouk (local alcoholic drink).  I would look for money in the house, even in her cloths (pagnes), to buy drink.  I was involved sexually with women and with young girls at that time; I drank; I quarreled.  After drinking one Saturday, a brother came and talked with me about Jesus Christ.  He asked if I would go to church the next day.  Even that morning, I had money in my pocket for a drink - but how could I drink in front of this brother?  That Sunday, the pastor talked about my own life!!  He talked about drinking.  But I did not yet give my life to Christ.  Later, I went to the charlatan because I needed to sacrifice at the end of the year.  But instead, at that time, I decided to follow Jesus - so I let go of the sacrifice.  At times I have a desire to return to drink.  Thankfully, I have abandoned drink completely now for 1 year and 1 month.  I know that God sent His Son for me - I have asked Him to live in my heart.  I have cut off relationship with the world.  Now I want to live for God; I want to share the gospel with others.  I am the oldest in my family and I do not allow sacrifices in my family."

#4 - Wife of man above: "I used to go to the charlatans.  Living with my husband before he accepted Christ, was not easy!  There were lots of quarrels.  I went to various churches.  Then the pastor started a Bible study here in this village in the market.  I heard about Jesus.  When this church started, I began coming.  I still had my amulets.  But after hearing the Word of God, I burned my amulets.  I used to enjoy quarreling; now there is patience in me and I am calm.  I know God sent His Son to die for my own sins.  He died and rose again.  In all problems, I now know that God is there.  I also burned my idols - but I have been protected by God!"

#5 - Young girl (perhaps 18-20 years old): "I lived in the village of Kpetegan.  I practiced fetishism.  A charlatan introduced "power in my skin" (injected something in my arm).  My father died and I came to live in Agoudze.  One day a doctor from the hospital in Tsiko came (our mission hospital); I was sick.  I was treated.  I went to my house, ate some food - then cried to my mother that I had a bad headache, and fell to the ground.  Everyone thought I had died.  After a long time, I recovered.  I was taken to the village dispensary but the doctor said he could not treat me and that I needed to go to the charlatan.  I continued to have headaches.  The charlatan gave me amulets.  I attended a different church but always had my amulets.  One day, a group of Baptists came to our village and showed a film.  I heard about Jesus Christ and accepted Him as my Savior."


No comments:

Post a Comment